Schmye Bubbula
Mar 25, 01:00 PM
<pedantry>
Is Finder an App per se or integral to the OS?
</pedantry>
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app
Is Finder an App per se or integral to the OS?
</pedantry>
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app
jared1988
Apr 9, 09:10 PM
ipodtoucher -- that desk is pretty cool
destroyboredom
Mar 24, 04:35 PM
Happy Birthday OS X! You're growing up so fast. :)
iJohnHenry
Apr 25, 05:08 PM
Called the cops and at most say something to the ladies but not get involved physicaly.
And lock the bitches in (judgemental), 'till the cops get there.
Let them sort it out.
And lock the bitches in (judgemental), 'till the cops get there.
Let them sort it out.
more...
luismagda94
Aug 8, 01:00 AM
Just checked Dell's 30" and apart from the built-in card reader (woohoo) and a USB Upstream port and a slightly faster response time 11 ms vs. 14 ms, the two are nearly identical. Apple's has two firewire ports and looks a lot cleaner and more elegant and is $200 cheaper.
Now if Dell drops their price by $500, then the $300 price difference might make the Dell version tempting again.
Nah, I like beauty, even if it costs a little extra.
Now if Dell drops their price by $500, then the $300 price difference might make the Dell version tempting again.
Nah, I like beauty, even if it costs a little extra.
ghall
Jan 15, 01:29 PM
I was somewhat disappointed. The only thing I really got excited about was the MacBook Air and the iPhone update. I said the same thing about last years MacWorld, it left me wanting more...i.e. "One more thing..."
more...
UTclassof89
Jul 21, 12:07 PM
Umm, that's still less than 1%. That's pretty good. That would be out of 100 million calls. 99 million calls were fine.
You seem to have missed the "... MORE than iPhone 3gs" part.
A better antenna should drop FEWER calls (unless there's a flaw)
You seem to have missed the "... MORE than iPhone 3gs" part.
A better antenna should drop FEWER calls (unless there's a flaw)
lordonuthin
Apr 28, 10:23 PM
well, 2 systems would be better than one, if you can afford it.
let's see
dual cpu:
- 2 x i7 980x - $2,000
- motherboard - $600
- 12 GB of RAM - about $300
- powersupply - about $120
total - about $3,020
single cpu:
- i7 980x - $1,000
- motherboard - $200
- 6 GB of RAM - about $150
- powersupply - about $80
total - about $1430 x 2 = $2,860
so 2 systems might actually be cheaper. i didn't put a case, since with the big $600 motherboard, it won't fit in most cases. and i assume you already have gpus
I already have 2 4u cases and 650 psu's for them, no gpu's right now I just ssh into them. Would a 650 psu be enough power for a single GTX480 on one of these? I have 1200 watt psu's running the 2 machines with 3 gpu's each. I could swap out one of the GT260's for the 480 and put it (the 260) on the new board; when I have the change for the GTX480 that is.
This of course will delay the purchase of a new Mac Pro somewhat, maybe... but I couldn't wait any longer for the Mac Pro's...:o
Our team output is up again to just under 2 mil pts for the last week.
let's see
dual cpu:
- 2 x i7 980x - $2,000
- motherboard - $600
- 12 GB of RAM - about $300
- powersupply - about $120
total - about $3,020
single cpu:
- i7 980x - $1,000
- motherboard - $200
- 6 GB of RAM - about $150
- powersupply - about $80
total - about $1430 x 2 = $2,860
so 2 systems might actually be cheaper. i didn't put a case, since with the big $600 motherboard, it won't fit in most cases. and i assume you already have gpus
I already have 2 4u cases and 650 psu's for them, no gpu's right now I just ssh into them. Would a 650 psu be enough power for a single GTX480 on one of these? I have 1200 watt psu's running the 2 machines with 3 gpu's each. I could swap out one of the GT260's for the 480 and put it (the 260) on the new board; when I have the change for the GTX480 that is.
This of course will delay the purchase of a new Mac Pro somewhat, maybe... but I couldn't wait any longer for the Mac Pro's...:o
Our team output is up again to just under 2 mil pts for the last week.
more...
bwiissofly
Apr 11, 12:58 AM
16GB WIFI only iPad 2.
I went back and forth with the idea of "needing" 3G but I have an iPhone, hardly ever travel, everywhere I go has WIFI and I have a MacBook and an iMac. I figure with the money I save, I can use on accessories...or just save :-).
Plus, my friend works at Best Buy and gives me half off accessories.
Any recommendations on apps that are must haves?
I went back and forth with the idea of "needing" 3G but I have an iPhone, hardly ever travel, everywhere I go has WIFI and I have a MacBook and an iMac. I figure with the money I save, I can use on accessories...or just save :-).
Plus, my friend works at Best Buy and gives me half off accessories.
Any recommendations on apps that are must haves?
Wizard of Woz
Jan 15, 08:32 PM
Ahahaha. While some of you have some true criticisms, (and correct IMO) of the keynote, some of you are acting like spoilt little children.
Personally I enjoyed the keynote, except for the $20 iPod touch upgrade, which is a bit of a slap in the face.
The MBA is a complimentary machine to me. I have a C2D 20' iMac on my desk, but need something ultra-portable and light to carry at school. Something that could fit in a tiny little satchel - even a MB is too big - therefore the MBA is perfect for me. It's a machine to take notes, write reports etc on. I'd simply transfer work off using my 2GB Flash drive.
I would like to see an app that could use the touch gestures to draw diagrams - that would be great for Science, Maths etc.
Personally I enjoyed the keynote, except for the $20 iPod touch upgrade, which is a bit of a slap in the face.
The MBA is a complimentary machine to me. I have a C2D 20' iMac on my desk, but need something ultra-portable and light to carry at school. Something that could fit in a tiny little satchel - even a MB is too big - therefore the MBA is perfect for me. It's a machine to take notes, write reports etc on. I'd simply transfer work off using my 2GB Flash drive.
I would like to see an app that could use the touch gestures to draw diagrams - that would be great for Science, Maths etc.
more...
nebulos
May 4, 01:20 AM
my posts are acting weird now. did i get flagged for daring to speak ill of the ipad? jeez. i didn't realize this was our religion.

tribalogical
May 4, 05:32 AM
very. powerful. ad.
one of the best I've seen recently.
OK, so I've been using my iPad (v1) since a few weeks after they came out. I use it for business (note-taking, presentations, pages & numbers for document reading/generation, file access via goodreader/dropbox, and so on), for design (sketching, rendering, photo processing, wireframing, etc.), for music performance and production (that's my main gig... I compose, comp, and use some interesting tools for live performance), most of all, the iPad makes a great remote controller for music software (see Omni TR for Spectrasonics' Omnisphere, and TouchAble for controlling Ableton Live as two excellent examples).
And of course, I browse news/web/social media (Flipboard, Zite, Twitter etc.), read books, watch TED talks, learn (e.g. I'm currently studying Russian, and can practice listening in the background while I do other things, which is very cool)...
It becomes a shared reference during conversations... I use a translator, quick google searches, illustrate topics of discussion on the fly.
And of course, the occasional game, my current favorite being Need For Speed, which is tons of fun on this platform...
I use Apple's bluetooth keyboard together with the iPad for extended typing sessions, and it's a great setup. Basically the same functionality I get from a laptop arrangement... in fact, my MacBook Pro rarely leaves the house anymore.
So, is it magical? Nah... ok sometimes, almost... check out the new (free) "Planetary" app for browsing your iTunes library... that's pretty magical! :)
Is it useful? Productive? Entertaining? Yes to all...
Really, what's not to like?
Apple got it right. And this new ad nails it......
my long two cents! :)
one of the best I've seen recently.
OK, so I've been using my iPad (v1) since a few weeks after they came out. I use it for business (note-taking, presentations, pages & numbers for document reading/generation, file access via goodreader/dropbox, and so on), for design (sketching, rendering, photo processing, wireframing, etc.), for music performance and production (that's my main gig... I compose, comp, and use some interesting tools for live performance), most of all, the iPad makes a great remote controller for music software (see Omni TR for Spectrasonics' Omnisphere, and TouchAble for controlling Ableton Live as two excellent examples).
And of course, I browse news/web/social media (Flipboard, Zite, Twitter etc.), read books, watch TED talks, learn (e.g. I'm currently studying Russian, and can practice listening in the background while I do other things, which is very cool)...
It becomes a shared reference during conversations... I use a translator, quick google searches, illustrate topics of discussion on the fly.
And of course, the occasional game, my current favorite being Need For Speed, which is tons of fun on this platform...
I use Apple's bluetooth keyboard together with the iPad for extended typing sessions, and it's a great setup. Basically the same functionality I get from a laptop arrangement... in fact, my MacBook Pro rarely leaves the house anymore.
So, is it magical? Nah... ok sometimes, almost... check out the new (free) "Planetary" app for browsing your iTunes library... that's pretty magical! :)
Is it useful? Productive? Entertaining? Yes to all...
Really, what's not to like?
Apple got it right. And this new ad nails it......
my long two cents! :)
more...
Dmac77
Oct 6, 03:21 PM
I honestly don't understand why people are always complaining about AT&T. I and no one else that I know has ever had an issue with AT&T in our area (Ann Arbor, MI). But everyone who has Verizon has issues.
We used to be on Verizon, and we would always get dropped calls. And my friends who are still on Verizon still drop calls all the time.
It's the same if I drive out into the middle of nowhere. (Which me as some friends did recently). I had 3G coverage in the middle of nowhere, but my friend on Verizon had no coverage at all.
And the funny thing is that according to the maps, Verizon is supposed to have better 3G coverage in my area which is total BS.
EDIT: I also forgot to mention the crappy customer service from Verizon. Like the manager at a Verizon store telling my mom to ****** off and die, because she was pissed that there had been a service outage for over a week.
AT&T will bend over backwards for us though. The one time we had a problem (a day long outage) they prorated 25% of our bill for that month, without us even asking.
Don
We used to be on Verizon, and we would always get dropped calls. And my friends who are still on Verizon still drop calls all the time.
It's the same if I drive out into the middle of nowhere. (Which me as some friends did recently). I had 3G coverage in the middle of nowhere, but my friend on Verizon had no coverage at all.
And the funny thing is that according to the maps, Verizon is supposed to have better 3G coverage in my area which is total BS.
EDIT: I also forgot to mention the crappy customer service from Verizon. Like the manager at a Verizon store telling my mom to ****** off and die, because she was pissed that there had been a service outage for over a week.
AT&T will bend over backwards for us though. The one time we had a problem (a day long outage) they prorated 25% of our bill for that month, without us even asking.
Don
fivepoint
May 4, 03:48 PM
nope; you've simply mixed up the issues and the responses
You're right in that it does not perfectly align, but the point is the same... In this case, I would support the doctor's right to ask questions, give advice, and not serve the customer if that's his decision. In the other cases, my position was the same. To the contrary, the leftist clan in the other cases thought that doctors should be forced to treat everyone for every situation regardless of philosophy, while in this case they seem to be advocating a doctor's right to ask questions, and make choices based on the serve the customer if that's his decision.
No, I've already said I think the bill is complete nonsense. I'm only addressing Dr. Choi's assertion (in the OP) that he has a duty to pry into non-medical aspects of the lives of his patients.
My thoughts.
"Do you have a firearm in the home?"
"Yes"
"It should be locked up or have a trigger guard."
"NO ****?"
Exactly. Physicians can't be sitting there going through every single life hazard.
"Do you walk across the street?"
"Yes"
"You should look both ways."
"No ****!"
"Do you go to the mall?"
"Yes"
"You should keep children under the age of 5 close at your side at all times."
"No ****!"
You're right in that it does not perfectly align, but the point is the same... In this case, I would support the doctor's right to ask questions, give advice, and not serve the customer if that's his decision. In the other cases, my position was the same. To the contrary, the leftist clan in the other cases thought that doctors should be forced to treat everyone for every situation regardless of philosophy, while in this case they seem to be advocating a doctor's right to ask questions, and make choices based on the serve the customer if that's his decision.
No, I've already said I think the bill is complete nonsense. I'm only addressing Dr. Choi's assertion (in the OP) that he has a duty to pry into non-medical aspects of the lives of his patients.
My thoughts.
"Do you have a firearm in the home?"
"Yes"
"It should be locked up or have a trigger guard."
"NO ****?"
Exactly. Physicians can't be sitting there going through every single life hazard.
"Do you walk across the street?"
"Yes"
"You should look both ways."
"No ****!"
"Do you go to the mall?"
"Yes"
"You should keep children under the age of 5 close at your side at all times."
"No ****!"
more...
this is funah
Sep 12, 08:13 AM
i just hope that iTunes 7 has better video handling... the video podcasts tend to overload the CPU, making me just open them in QT
BadMoon
Mar 17, 11:18 AM
I would just like people to know a few things about me:
I'm an Indian Shaman and a King
I had coffee this morning
I'm sick of NYC and the scalpers
My P is about 3 inches (from the ground)
I wrote Jobs an email for free **** because I can't wait for shipping
I was raised in the everybody wins society by useless parents
I hate everyone that has an iPad 2 right now
Did I mention the NYC scalpers?
I love useless threads on MacRumors
I'm entitled to whatever I want as long as I say so
There I think I covered just about every useless thread this place has seen lately. :D
I'm an Indian Shaman and a King
I had coffee this morning
I'm sick of NYC and the scalpers
My P is about 3 inches (from the ground)
I wrote Jobs an email for free **** because I can't wait for shipping
I was raised in the everybody wins society by useless parents
I hate everyone that has an iPad 2 right now
Did I mention the NYC scalpers?
I love useless threads on MacRumors
I'm entitled to whatever I want as long as I say so
There I think I covered just about every useless thread this place has seen lately. :D
more...
chrmjenkins
Apr 25, 02:17 PM
Screen is clearly faked one way or another.
The Internet is an easy mark.
Well then you'll be able to provide specific points as to why it's faked then, no?
The Internet is an easy mark.
Well then you'll be able to provide specific points as to why it's faked then, no?
twoodcc
May 4, 09:28 PM
yeah, -smp 12 but one core now shows minimal use. Before I restarted it it showed 4 cores with minimal usage... :confused: I'm going to try tossing the config file and see what happens. And of course it loses the wu each time I shut folding down.
oh ok. man that stinks. it losing the unit even when pressing control-c?
hmm. i'm not sure. but keep us posted on how it's going
oh ok. man that stinks. it losing the unit even when pressing control-c?
hmm. i'm not sure. but keep us posted on how it's going
menlotechnical
Apr 23, 11:26 AM
OK, like any topic we should all be on the common ground about what we are talking about. Some guys pulled together this discussion about finding hidden tracking information.
The video is fairly short, but worth a watch just to speak somewhat intelligently on this issue:
http://mashable.com/2011/04/20/iphone-location-history/
The crazy part is, you have to keep in mind the ignorance of all the media people, all the 'journalists' all the comments on places like the Wall Street Journal. These people thrive on conspiracy and almost go out of their way to never get facts to talk about an issue.
After listening to this video I realize that these two have no idea what they are doing, while claiming that they have discovered something dramatic and private, they have only found that the LOCAL iPhone backup contains a database file that stores long lat information with time stamps, as well as country codes and area codes. Kind of like a call history you find in ALL cell phones. Additionally, the cell phone works by tracking it's relative positioning based on communications with cell towers. So the info they found was just the mechanics of cell phone and GPS technology. Yes, the phone keeps track of where you have been physically in relation to those towers. Probably moreso a mix of reliability for service - caching local locations and speeding up the ability for the device to switch from tower to tower. These boys also bring up the fact that every device has a unique ID as well as every tower! Wow. The next discovery they may make will be the fundamentals of ip v4 addressing and the TCP/IP stack (can't wait!!)
Seriously, watch that video and give us your impressions of what these two brains figured out.
Also, how come no one is talking about FB invasion.. which is really the whole sale invasion of privacy and selling your information - a practice stolen directly from credit card companies. Banks, insurance companies, brokerage firms, and credit card reporting companies spend more time and make more money without consent than any other industry. Even cell phone providers.
These boys wind up their discussion saying they really are not sure what this location information means, and that it remains in the iphone owners hands, and they cannot prove that it EVER leaves the phone, nor the PC. It is an ever growing file, which just is not practical for Apple to track of and constantly send to their offices. Probably, Facebook and 4square collect more information than Apple from any one iPhone.
Here is an excellent rebuttal that explains technical detail why these two are wrong:
The video is fairly short, but worth a watch just to speak somewhat intelligently on this issue:
http://mashable.com/2011/04/20/iphone-location-history/
The crazy part is, you have to keep in mind the ignorance of all the media people, all the 'journalists' all the comments on places like the Wall Street Journal. These people thrive on conspiracy and almost go out of their way to never get facts to talk about an issue.
After listening to this video I realize that these two have no idea what they are doing, while claiming that they have discovered something dramatic and private, they have only found that the LOCAL iPhone backup contains a database file that stores long lat information with time stamps, as well as country codes and area codes. Kind of like a call history you find in ALL cell phones. Additionally, the cell phone works by tracking it's relative positioning based on communications with cell towers. So the info they found was just the mechanics of cell phone and GPS technology. Yes, the phone keeps track of where you have been physically in relation to those towers. Probably moreso a mix of reliability for service - caching local locations and speeding up the ability for the device to switch from tower to tower. These boys also bring up the fact that every device has a unique ID as well as every tower! Wow. The next discovery they may make will be the fundamentals of ip v4 addressing and the TCP/IP stack (can't wait!!)
Seriously, watch that video and give us your impressions of what these two brains figured out.
Also, how come no one is talking about FB invasion.. which is really the whole sale invasion of privacy and selling your information - a practice stolen directly from credit card companies. Banks, insurance companies, brokerage firms, and credit card reporting companies spend more time and make more money without consent than any other industry. Even cell phone providers.
These boys wind up their discussion saying they really are not sure what this location information means, and that it remains in the iphone owners hands, and they cannot prove that it EVER leaves the phone, nor the PC. It is an ever growing file, which just is not practical for Apple to track of and constantly send to their offices. Probably, Facebook and 4square collect more information than Apple from any one iPhone.
Here is an excellent rebuttal that explains technical detail why these two are wrong:
twoodcc
Apr 11, 12:44 AM
I know!! Last year they had the Mac Pro out before the cpu's were even announced by Intel!
yeah i know! i don't know what's going on these days. apple is only concerned with iphone and ipad, but developers gotta have systems to build the apps with!
and not just that, apple has a market for mac pros. but it will only continue to get smaller if they ignore it
yeah i know! i don't know what's going on these days. apple is only concerned with iphone and ipad, but developers gotta have systems to build the apps with!
and not just that, apple has a market for mac pros. but it will only continue to get smaller if they ignore it
menlotechnical
Apr 23, 11:26 AM
OK, like any topic we should all be on the common ground about what we are talking about. Some guys pulled together this discussion about finding hidden tracking information.
The video is fairly short, but worth a watch just to speak somewhat intelligently on this issue:
http://mashable.com/2011/04/20/iphone-location-history/
The crazy part is, you have to keep in mind the ignorance of all the media people, all the 'journalists' all the comments on places like the Wall Street Journal. These people thrive on conspiracy and almost go out of their way to never get facts to talk about an issue.
After listening to this video I realize that these two have no idea what they are doing, while claiming that they have discovered something dramatic and private, they have only found that the LOCAL iPhone backup contains a database file that stores long lat information with time stamps, as well as country codes and area codes. Kind of like a call history you find in ALL cell phones. Additionally, the cell phone works by tracking it's relative positioning based on communications with cell towers. So the info they found was just the mechanics of cell phone and GPS technology. Yes, the phone keeps track of where you have been physically in relation to those towers. Probably moreso a mix of reliability for service - caching local locations and speeding up the ability for the device to switch from tower to tower. These boys also bring up the fact that every device has a unique ID as well as every tower! Wow. The next discovery they may make will be the fundamentals of ip v4 addressing and the TCP/IP stack (can't wait!!)
Seriously, watch that video and give us your impressions of what these two brains figured out.
Also, how come no one is talking about FB invasion.. which is really the whole sale invasion of privacy and selling your information - a practice stolen directly from credit card companies. Banks, insurance companies, brokerage firms, and credit card reporting companies spend more time and make more money without consent than any other industry. Even cell phone providers.
These boys wind up their discussion saying they really are not sure what this location information means, and that it remains in the iphone owners hands, and they cannot prove that it EVER leaves the phone, nor the PC. It is an ever growing file, which just is not practical for Apple to track of and constantly send to their offices. Probably, Facebook and 4square collect more information than Apple from any one iPhone.
Here is an excellent rebuttal that explains technical detail why these two are wrong:
The video is fairly short, but worth a watch just to speak somewhat intelligently on this issue:
http://mashable.com/2011/04/20/iphone-location-history/
The crazy part is, you have to keep in mind the ignorance of all the media people, all the 'journalists' all the comments on places like the Wall Street Journal. These people thrive on conspiracy and almost go out of their way to never get facts to talk about an issue.
After listening to this video I realize that these two have no idea what they are doing, while claiming that they have discovered something dramatic and private, they have only found that the LOCAL iPhone backup contains a database file that stores long lat information with time stamps, as well as country codes and area codes. Kind of like a call history you find in ALL cell phones. Additionally, the cell phone works by tracking it's relative positioning based on communications with cell towers. So the info they found was just the mechanics of cell phone and GPS technology. Yes, the phone keeps track of where you have been physically in relation to those towers. Probably moreso a mix of reliability for service - caching local locations and speeding up the ability for the device to switch from tower to tower. These boys also bring up the fact that every device has a unique ID as well as every tower! Wow. The next discovery they may make will be the fundamentals of ip v4 addressing and the TCP/IP stack (can't wait!!)
Seriously, watch that video and give us your impressions of what these two brains figured out.
Also, how come no one is talking about FB invasion.. which is really the whole sale invasion of privacy and selling your information - a practice stolen directly from credit card companies. Banks, insurance companies, brokerage firms, and credit card reporting companies spend more time and make more money without consent than any other industry. Even cell phone providers.
These boys wind up their discussion saying they really are not sure what this location information means, and that it remains in the iphone owners hands, and they cannot prove that it EVER leaves the phone, nor the PC. It is an ever growing file, which just is not practical for Apple to track of and constantly send to their offices. Probably, Facebook and 4square collect more information than Apple from any one iPhone.
Here is an excellent rebuttal that explains technical detail why these two are wrong:
womble2k2
Apr 26, 03:08 AM
Why is there multiple vanishing points!?! I believe it is a fake.
l3lack J4ck
Nov 25, 01:51 AM
i know this isnt about the black friday news but...does apple honor tax free businesses? my dad owns a tax free business so if i brought him w/ me and he had a paper htat signified he was tax free...would i get the educational and tax free?
pudrums
Apr 13, 09:28 AM
Pre-ordered 22 Bullets
http://www.heftig-magazin.de/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/22-Bullets.jpg
http://www.heftig-magazin.de/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/22-Bullets.jpg